It’s March 30, 2021 and here’s what’s you missed in Helium Improvement Proposals (HIPs)
For new readers: Helium is a open-source, p2p wireless network for IoT devices. HIPs are the community-led process to suggest and implement changes to the blockchain. I’m
jamiedubs#1105, a board member at the non-profit DeWi, where I help manage the HIP process and host our monthly community calls. PSA: we’re also giving out $10M in grants to Helium-related projects.
Accepted HIP changes this month:
- Merged for discussion – HIP28: Consensus Reward Adjustments by @PaulVMo Issue #140. Attempts to address consensus group earning less than the 6% target due to election times, and reallocates any unearned consensus rewards to the PoC pool rather than being shared with Security Token holders. New Discord channel for discussion: #hip-28-
- Merged light gateway amendment to HIP19 (3rd-party manufacturer guidelines) by @coco (Helium Inc) – PR #132 - adds considerations for light gateways, including same ECC chip requirement as full gateways. I believe this was a low-impact/non-substantive amendment that does not necessarily require full HIP review, but we gave it one anyway. There were no objections or concerns raised. AFAIK light gateway manufacturers are already all aware and have been actively installing ECC chips.
We also received three new HIP19 manufacturer applications:
- HeNet BV/LongAP – 2021-03-16 – In Discussion
- Smart Mimic – 2021-03-25 – In Discussion
- Browan – 2021-03-26 – In Discussion
- Requested changes to HIP draft for on-chain voting by @maco2035 – needs basic spelling & grammar edits before we should merge. There are substantive notes in the thread as well. Quite old at this point, in part due to a lack of feedback and followup from your humble HIP Editor (me). Let me know if this is still of-interest to folks and will be revised, or if we should close. https://github.com/helium/HIP/pull/127
- Closed older HIP draft about validators by @cvolkernik – PR #128 – revision of his earlier HIP around moving consensus to validators, which was approved in alternate proposal HIP25. This revision contemplates additional validator mechanisms like delegation, slashing et al but should be revised in light of validator changes and then proposed as a new, clean HIP, or as an amendment to HIP25.
Please check out the Helium discord for further discussion, particularly #helium-improvement-proposals and the dedicated per-HIP channels.